Thursday, May 12, 2011

I Let a Bad Run Get the Better of Me

I needed to run today.

I'm not going to have time to run tomorrow, and although I've got a run planned with a friend on Saturday, that leaves me with only four runs for the whole week, two of which were already only two miles.

So although I have a LOT to do, and am stressed out about doing it (and maybe because of that), I needed to run.

I headed out, planning to run about 2 1/2 miles.  As soon as I started, I was sore, my back hurt, my legs hurt, my knee hurt, I felt like it was humid and I could just feel the exhaustion set it.  So I basically gave up. I told myself I'd only run a mile instead of the 2 1/2 I had planned.

Now, granted, I did run FAST today (fast for me, that is).  I ran 1.01 miles in 10:06, which is a 10:02 pace.  I haven't run that fast in two years.  But I didn't pace myself better to start with, which made me feel more tired more quickly and I gave up.

My lesson for today for myself is that everyone has bad days and bad runs.  At least I went out there for those ten minutes instead of skipping the run altogether.  I also need to remember that two years ago, this was right when I lost focus and started to give up - started to hate to run.  I don't want that to happen again, so if I needed to give myself a break today rather than push myself too hard, I guess that's okay.

I'll be back with a vengeance next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment